Why does caffeine stop asthma attack? Well this is because it has a variety of pharmacological effects; it is a weak bronchodilator and it also reduces respiratory muscle fatigue. It is chemically related to the drug theophylline which is used to treat asthma.
Why Does Caffeine Stop Asthma Attack
Caffeine is a widely consumed legal drug in the globe. It is also one of the top commodities. Caffeine is particularly a stimulant and it is found in tea, coffee, soft drinks, etc. However, it is essentially advised for children under the age of 14 not to consume this as caffeine has a mildly negative effect on the human body and can be the worst if consumed uncontrollably.
Being an addictive beverage, you might be thinking only of the cons of this but let me make it clear.
Pros of caffeine
- Reduces cancer chances
- Its an energy booster
- It reduces heart disease.
- Control type 2 diabetes.
- High blood pressure.
- Liver Problems
- Stop the asthma attack.
Here on this blog, let me show you why caffeine stops asthma attacks.
What is Asthma?
Asthma is a chronic respiratory disease that causes breathing difficulty that is shortness of breath, an extra amount of phlegm, excessive cough, etc. This is when a person’s airway becomes narrow and produces extra mucus and one finds it hard to inhale it also leads to an attack by causing severe chest pain. It is an eminently controllable illness and people mostly used inhalers for this.
Types of Asthma
1. Exercise-Induced Bronchoconstriction (EIB)- It is a narrowing of the windpipe causing difficulty moving air out of the lungs during a workout.
2. Allergic Asthma- Asthma caused by allergic issues.
3. Non Allergic asthma- It is the normal type of asthma with no allergies.
4. Occupational Asthma- Asthma when caused by breathing fumes, smoke, dust during work. It is mainly caused to people in factories or power stations.
5. Asthma-COPD Overlap- when you have symptoms of both asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder.
6. Adult onset asthma- Asthma which develops in adulthood. Different illnesses, viruses, or infections can be a factor in adult-onset asthma. A bad cold or a bout with the flu is often a factor in adults. Smoking isn’t a reason behind it.
Caffeine aka 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine is the cure or temporary stoppage of asthma that has been followed as a treatment since the late nineties. It works best when served hot and black. To be honest, coffee is the best source of caffeine because tea has less constituent it, and soft drinks have many more negative effects when consumed.
To be scientifically speaking, caffeine contains theophylline which is similar to the drug opening airway to the lungs i.e. (bronchodilators). Bronchodilator was a top-line asthma remedy during the 1970s through the 1990s.
According to research, people who regularly drank coffee had a 29% reduction in the odds of having current asthma symptoms when compared with non-coffee drinkers.
According to the NY Times, They found that caffeine produced small improvements in airway function for up to four hours, compared with a placebo, and that even a small dose — less than the amount in a cup of Starbucks coffee — could improve lung function for up to two hours.
The chemical composition of caffeine contains carbon hydrogen nitrogen and oxygen (C8H10N4O2).
Whose molecular weight is 190 4.19 gram per mole?
Caffeine is a methylxanthine found in many plants it acts as a receptor antagonist in anti-inflammatory activities. Caffeine after binding with adenosine receptors in the central nervous system starts helping in stimulating the activity of the nervous system and brain. It also works in increasing concentration between the cells and activates kinase protein therefore, increasing immunity. Another name of caffeine is coffee or theine.
Why Use Caffeine?
Theophylline was first used for asthma in 1922. It was the first-line treatment for asthma before it was replaced by inhalers, which was launched in 1998. Theophylline is a respiratory drug that is taken to open up the airways in the lungs and cures the symptoms of asthma, for example, wheezing, coughing, and breathlessness.
Caffeine during an asthma attack relaxes the respiratory muscles and opens up the windpipe. As I mentioned, it can be sustained only up to four hours.
Although caffeine cannot replace inhalers it can be an efficient and temporary solution. Maximum two cups of coffee need to be taken in a day because of overconsumption, it can cause Insomnia, headache, nausea, etc.
Now here are few points of when to consume caffeine during the period of asthma:
1. During the attack you need to come down and then drink hot black coffee.
2. Make sure not to take much amount.
3. Avoid drinking any other source of caffeine except tea or coffee
4. Avoid drinking tea or coffee with milk because lactose can be harmful at that moment of time.
5. It is advised not to consume caffeine in any form before going to the doctor for the test because it may affect important test results of Asthma. And it will give you more positive results. Therefore, the doctor will prescribe a low dose of drugs.
So here, we can conclude that long term consumption of caffeine isn’t only a cure but also prevention. For an adult, they should consume at most 10 gram per day of caffeine.
Despite caffeine having many pharmacological effects, it is not much recommended or you can say it is only recommended only as first aid. Otherwise, there are many other medicines too and also the research of this theory has not been proved completely yet. Scientists are still curious about finding caffeine having the same effect on the lungs as theophylline.
Also Read: How to Taking Credit Cards Over the Phone
Asthma is caused by serious allergies or any particular occupation which can alter the respiratory rate of a human body. Airborne allergens, such as pollen, dust mites, mold spores are also some of the causes. It is not inbuilt but exposure to cold climate, certain food habits, can also cause this disease. Some natural relaxation remedies like deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation. Asthma on the other hand can be prevented by Acupuncture, Plant-based diet, Yoga, Good BMI, etc.
Also Read: Top 10: Best Web Hosting Providers 2020